For Concert Promoters - Frequently Asked Questions
late September AVAILABLE
So, you want to raise funds and would like andante Chamber Choir to perform a concert for you?
Here are some of the questions we are often asked.
WHO SHOULD WE CONTACT TO DISCUSS AN ANDANTE CONCERT?
- Your contact with andante will be with the Director: John Stone
- eMail: [email protected] telephone: 01890-840366
WHAT COSTS ARE LIKELY TO BE INVOLVED?
- andante does not normally charge a fee or expenses for presenting a charity concert in our locality. However, as a concert promoter, you are obliged to pay a Performing Rights License, as the choir is almost certain to include copyright music in its programme. andante is happy to deal with this for you if your chosen venue doesn't hold such a licence. The cost is calculated on a sliding scale based on the number in the audience - John can advise you on the current figures, but they are not onerous!
- You may also have to consider costs associated with your chosen venue, staffing the event, publicity & printing, refreshments and other expenses.
HOW DO WE CHOOSE A DATE AND A VENUE?
see also table to the left
- The choir aims to perform a concert a month but takes July & August off and rarely gives concerts in January or February.
- Due to demand for our services we often work a year or more ahead and are delighted to be fully booked for all of 2019 & 2020
- Contact John to request that your concert is pencilled in for your chosen month.
- The choir has found that Friday or Saturday evenings, or Sunday afternoons are popular with audiences.
- Choose your venue. The choir sings best in reasonably large buildings - often churches - with resonant acoustics. We just require an open, empty performing space. A power supply is useful if lighting is necessary. John can advise you on this and the choir has lighting available. Sometimes a chair for each singer is necessary - normally 32 singers. Obviously toilets on-site or close by are a necessity. And do let John know if it is a cold building!
- Contact John to confirm venue as appropriate (John will want to visit the venue if it is one in which andante has not performed before).
- Confirm your chosen date with your venue and confirm the booking for the choir with John.
- Find out if your venue holds a Performing Rights Licence and advise John.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO A COUPLE OF MONTH BEFORE THE CONCERT?
- John can send you a poster by email for you to print and distribute - or provide you with necessary copy for a poster of your own design. Please note, it is not andante's job to find your audience!
- Consider the implications for having tickets available in advance. Are tickets going to be available on the door?
- More and more concert promoters are not charging for entry by ticket, but inviting audiences to donate on arriving or leaving. You may consider that an alternative approach.
- Consider contacting the local press and other advertising; if you would like a photograph of andante to send with your article to the press, please ask John for electronic copy - many choices are available on our website.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO ONE WEEK BEFORE THE CONCERT?
- John will send you the programme (usually just a single sheet of A4 printed on both sides) by email for you to print or as copy for your own prepared programmes.
- Very often the choir will distribute the programmes to your audience as they arrive at the concert. We enjoy meeting with your audience before the concert.
WHEN WILL THE CHOIR WANT ACCESS TO THE VENUE ON THE PERFORMANCE DAY?
- The choir would like access for layout and warm-up purposes up to two hours before the concert. Access to toilets is appreciated, as well as advice on the building - power points, movement of furniture, positioning of lighting, etc. A cup of tea is always appreciated! Please work out where the choir can leave their coats & bags etc.
- Before the concert please agree with John the arrangements for introductions/ vote of thanks/ raffles/ etc.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO AT THE END OF THE CONCERT ON THE NIGHT?
- Please give John the appropriate amount for Performing Rights in cash or cheque payable to "Andante Chamber Choir".
- Please advise John as to how much money you raised for your chosen charity as soon as the figure is confirmed - the choir likes to know!
- Any other feedback you can give us - what worked, what didn't, what organisational or performance points could we do differently, how helpful or otherwise have these notes been? Messages by eMail are most useful.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO IN THE MONTH AFTER THE CONCERT?
- Was it successful? Would you like to do it again? Don't forget to book your next concert!
Good luck with your fund-raising!